Monday, November 21, 2011

The Importance of Creativity

In the video I watched, Sir Ken Robinson talked about the importance of creativity in the classroom today. He says that creativity is just as important as literacy and teachers are taking this away from students. I agree with him. Teachers spend too much time in the classroom drilling fact after fact and don't really give students the opportunity to think for themselves and explore things that interest them.

Later, he says that children are afraid of being wrong. I also agree with this statement because I am one of these students. The reality is though that we learn more when we are wrong. I think that it takes doing things the wrong way a few times is the only way we truly understand when we finally do them right. If we take creativity away from students, eventually we will have a world where everyone does the same thing and thinks the same way. That would be a very boring world!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Ken Robsinson and you. I think that teachers create an environment where students should be a square so they fit in the square hole, but creativity does not work that way. I think teachers often feel like there is not enough time for creativity anymore also, but if we use projects like PBL we will require our students to be creative. The world would be a boring place without creativity!

    ReplyDelete